The Order of Celebrating Matrimony for use in Canada is a translation of the Second Edition of the Latin Ordo celebrandi Matrimonium of 1991. "It is the sole English-language translation and version hereby permitted for use in the Dioceses of Canada immediately upon publication. Its use is mandatory beginning September 8, 2017."
There are a number of substantial changes from the original 1969 edition. This latest edition has an expanded Praenotanda (Introduction) which expands upon the Church’s theology of Marriage.
The ritual contains:
- The Order of Celebrating Matrimony within Mass
- The Order of Celebrating Matrimony without Mass
- The Order of Celebrating Matrimony in the Presence of an Assisting Layperson
- The Order of Celebrating Matrimony between a Catholic and a Catechumen or a Non-Christian
- Various Texts to be Used in the Rite of Marriage and in the Mass for the Celebration of Marriage
Some changes and additions include:
- The elaboration of THE INTRODUCTORY (Entrance) RITES including:
- Two Forms for the entrance
- New sample introductory addresses for the Priest, Deacon or Assisting Layperson
- The omission of the Penitential Act; in “The Order of Celebrating Matrimony within Mass” the inclusion of the “Glory to God”
- At least one (1) Scripture reading that “explicitly speaks of Marriage” must be chosen
- A new alternate formula for “The Consent” and “The Reception of the Consent”
- A new acclamation following “The Reception of Consent”
- An optional Hymn or Canticle of Praise following “The Blessing and Giving of Rings”
- Nuptial Blessings with an explicit epiclesis (calling forth the blessing of the Holy Spirit)
- New prayers for the couple for Eucharistic Prayers I, II and III
- A clear notation that the Marriage documents are never to be signed on the altar
The Appendices include:
- Examples of the Universal Prayer
- The Order of Blessing an Engaged Couple
- The Order of Blessing a Married Couple within Mass on the Anniversary of Marriage
- Chants for the Order of Celebrating Matrimony
Each copy also includes Pastoral Notes provided by the Episcopal Commission for Liturgy and the Sacraments and a laminated card with the French version of “The Consent”.
The Order of Celebrating Matrimony - Pastoral Notes
The Episcopal Commission for Liturgy and the Sacraments has prepared Pastoral Notes to assist Priests, Deacons, Assisting Laypersons, other assisting liturgical ministers (such as musicians and cantors) and all others charged with helping prepare couples for the “Order of Celebrating Matrimony”. One copy of the Pastoral Notes is included with every ritual book.
188 pages, 18,5 x 26 cm, 2 colours, hardcover, 3 ribbons